Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sidnee's big adventure

Sidnee has been having a mysterious illness. The symptoms were sore throat, swollen tonsils, fever, aching body and fatigue which of course means a big case of irritability! After being tested for mono, strep and various other things, the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. It was a vicious cycle of symptoms, then antibiotics, then she would be fine for a week after finishing the meds. Then we would start all over again. The last time it happened she even complained of canker sores. After 2 doctors saying that it was just a virus and then five rounds of antibiotics, our doctor sent us to a specialist. She took one look at Sidnee and scheduled her for surgery. She said that it was a virus that can only be gotten rid of by removing the tonsils and that she has seen 100% success with her patients. Today was the big day.

Sidnee waiting to be called back to pre-op while complaining that she was dying of starvation!

Daddy had to stick his nose in the corner while Sidnee changed for surgery.

This is her surgery outfit. The surgical center gives these shirts to their adolescent patients. It made Sidnee feel special.

The anesthesiologist explaining to Sidnee what is going to happen.

Sidnee being wheeled into post-op.

Steve is telling her to lay down. She kept trying to sit up and take out her i.v.

She kept dozing in and out for about 20 minutes.

Sidnee was excited about doing two things, the ride in the wheel chair was one of them.

The culprit in hand!

Seeing these puppies was the other thing that Sidnee requested of the doctor. These are her tonsils and are about the size of chicken hearts. The only complication that Sidnee encountered was that she threw up twice after surgery so they had to keep her a little bit longer. What should have been a 3 hour venture ended up being a 5 1/2 hour one. Now she has 5 people to wait on her as she is supposed to stay in bed for at least 5 days and no real activity for 2 weeks. If you want to come see her and make her feel better, bring her some pudding or jello, but nothing red or acidic please. I hope that this solves the problem and that she won't miss 23 days of school next year because she feels sick.



Who did her surgery? Did you see Heidi Heras? How is she recovering?